I saw a post of “random facts about me” on another blog and thought it looked like fun, so here goes! Tell me something random about you in the comments!
1. I’ve been eating a whole-food diet for almost a year now. It’s easier than I thought it would be, but I do have a few guilty pleasures. Domino’s pepperoni pizza (no cheese, extra extra pepperoni) is my Achilles heel.
2. I have a chihuahua named Buddy (ironically) who acts like a grumpy old man. Buddy was supposed to be my dog, but he adores my parents and hates me.
3. My hubby and I are very excited to adopt a pug puppy named Herbie in June! Everyone who knows me knows that I am slightly obsessed with pugs.
4. I have a cat named Bunny and I also used to have a dog named Duck (she passed away a few years ago). I did not name Bunny or Duck (and I think both of their names are a little ridiculous), but we adopted them when they were already pretty old, and we didn’t want to confuse them by changing their names.
5. I used to have a 30 pound orange tabby cat named Kevin. Yes, really. He didn’t eat any more than our 10 pound cat did.
6. My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde/mouse brown color. I’ve never been too fond of it, but I stopped dyeing it about a year ago in order to save money while I pay off my student loan debt. I used to dye my hair a “cherry coke” color (dark brown with a dark red tint), and I still miss it. Over the years, I’ve had pretty much every hair color there is – light blonde, dark blonde, every shade of brown, red, and black.
7. When I was born, I wasn’t breathing and was immediately rushed to the ICU. Because I was in a hospital, I was able to be revived. If my mom had given birth to me at home, it’s highly unlikely that I would’ve survived. This is why I feel strongly about giving birth in a hospital when/if I choose to have my own children.
8. I recently took one of those silly Facebook quizzes and got “80% left-brained, 20% right-brained.” I’m logical, organized, and not in the slightest bit creative. It’s not at all surprising that I work in Accounting/Payroll.
9. My husband is the exact opposite. He’s disorganized and more creative than most of the people I know. We drive each other crazy sometimes, but he’s my best friend.
10. I am a big believer that what is right for one person is not necessarily right for another.
11. I don’t like cake or ice cream that much. I don’t eat dessert now, but I used to have cheesecake or pie (pumpkin or French silk) on my birthdays instead of cake.
12. A year ago, I started working for a fitness company. Prior to that, I had never tried any kind of group fitness classes. I’ve now tried yoga, PiYo, holy yoga, pilates, spin, and Zumba.
13. My brothers were teenagers when I was born, and I am closer in age to some of my nieces and nephews than I am to my brothers. My parents were 20 when they had my oldest brother and 35 when they had me. Because my brothers are so much older, I was basically raised as an only child. My brother (who is now 42) and I are living together now (with our mom and step dad) for the first time in our lives.
14. I am an abstainer. This means that traditional advice (“everything is okay in moderation”) on dieting and saving money doesn’t work for me. If I eat one cookie, it could easily lead to five cookies. It is much easier for me to just skip cookies altogether. Once I start, it’s hard for me to stop. For this reason, I give myself extremely strict rules when it comes to my diet and my spending habits.
15. My favorite way to relax is to listen to music. I used to listen pretty much exclusively rock music and indie bands, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve started listening to other genres (that I used to hate) too. I like some pop, some Christian music, and a little bit of country.
16. I can’t handle spicy food at all, and I’m an extremely picky eater. One of the hardest parts about changing my diet to a vegan, whole food one was that I had to start eating new foods. It’s nearly impossible to convince me to eat anything “weird”. A couple of my friends tried to talk me into trying octopus one time. I declined, but my husband tried it. (He said it tasted like the “smell of a barn”. I don’t really know what that means, and I’m glad I don’t know).
17. I hate cheese. Weird, I know.
18. I decided to major in psychology because it was the only subject I had ever been truly passionate about. I never imagined that I would end up getting my master’s in business and working in HR.
20. The most beautiful place I’ve ever traveled to is Hawaii. We went on an 8 hour bus tour up a dormant volcano named Mauna Kea – its peak is the highest point in the state of Hawaii. We stood above the clouds and it was the most incredible view I’ve ever seen. The photos don’t do it justice.
21. I have OCD and anxiety, and my worst habit is my tendency to obsess. I’ve been trying to channel this energy into more positive things – like growing this blog.
22. Starting this blog was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! Most of the people I know don’t really “get” this whole extreme frugality journey that I’m on while I pay off my debt. It’s been amazing to connect with so many other bloggers who do “get” it and who are always inspiring me!